Sunday, February 26, 2012

Would you cross off a name for a child if it was a step parents name?

My boyfriend's parents are divorced, and have been since he was young. My parents have been together for over 20 years, and are still going strong.

So, when we sat down and actually thought about kids names (I am not pregnant, I just love names) we hit a problem.

To me, middle names should be after people the parents love (ie. friends,family,etc).

For example, my middle name is Grace, which was my Grandmothers middle name and my great aunts name. But, I laid down the rule that we wouldn't pick any name relating to his step parents or step siblings names because he doesn't see them as family. (Not that I'm saying you shouldn't or its a bad idea, just something we agreed on.) and I also don't want our immediate family to think they mean less to us if we do choose one of the step family names, especially if it hurts someones feelings.

But, with that rule we ran into some problems.

One of my close friends middle name is Maria, which is also his step moms middle name. Her mother's name is also Ruth, and it is my best friends mother middle name. His step dads sons name is Chris, which is one of my closest and oldest friends name.

We did compromise, we took my friends middle and first names.

But, after a while I decided that it didn't matter.

So, we got Lily Ruth and Hannah Maria. I actually like those names, but the only drawback is that the middle names are after the step people.

I know it seems cruel to be saying this, and I usually would have no issue with it. But, I don't want my children to think they were named after people they weren't suppose to be named after or to give the step family the wrong idea.

Ultimately, whatever name we choose will be under a lot of debate and I know people will think what they want about where we got the idea for the name.

But, I was wondering what people on the internet thought about my situaton. I am actually kind of excited to hear what people have to say. :)Would you cross off a name for a child if it was a step parents name?
let your children know who they are really named after and if his step mother or who ever thinks the baby is named after them let er think it it will only make them happy and it really dosent matter my husband his mom and siblings all start with an s he wanted to name our child with a s and his middle name is joseph we named our 1st daughter samaura jo with our second my name starts with an e and my middle is ann so her name is Elayna ann well my neice has jo for middle name and is convinced its for her (shes 10) so i just never said anything and she loves it no harm lolWould you cross off a name for a child if it was a step parents name?
Stop micromanaging your decisions. Pick what you like. Just say that the names aren't after anybody, but just names that you liked. End of story.



I would pick a variant of Maria unless you are hispanic. For one thing, Hannah Maria sounds very sing-song which is very annoying to an adult.
You can tell them who they are named after. The same with the step family. You name them what you want. I actually would skip the names that are from the step family if you do not want them to have the same names. I like Lily Grace.Would you cross off a name for a child if it was a step parents name?
Try eing creative and thinking of a new name!
Surely your family are aware of what your close friends are called?



I don't think it's an issue, except that deliberately calling a child after a friend's mother is rather odd. Why did you make yourself such a silly, arbitrary rule in the first place if it doesn't matter to you? It isn't going to matter to anyone else.Would you cross off a name for a child if it was a step parents name?
Hi there it doesn't much matter not many kids like the name they get any way and always ask why didn't you name me something else . well i tell them you weren't here at that time to pick your name . so you got what i liked i don't mean any thing about this but think of other names that's not in family it might work better .my cousin never complained about his name he was named after a character from a book his mother read , western book , unusual name of a cat us tree in desert he never complained about it but i was named after my dads first girl friend and i always wondered why her name but it wasn't my choice so i let it go at least my mom wasn't jealous of her i guess . that's a good game to think about . have fun with your answers .
  • pop cap games
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment