Thursday, February 9, 2012

How do I bbq a great steak?

I am a meat freak, I bbq almost everything on my gas grill, My steaks come out pretty good but I would like to know how it's done at Ruth Chris or another great steak place, any suggestions?How do I bbq a great steak?
First, start with a good piece of meat. Argentinians hang their beef for at least 6-8 weeks and it shows - most tender steak you can get, and you can literally cut it with a butter knife. Most supermarkets go from field to shelf in days - maybe you can find a local farm shop that hangs its own meat.



Sirloin is better than fillet for BBQs because the fat gets the BBQ going nicely.



Second, do each side just once. This seals in the flavour better than flipping it regularly.



Finally, a charcoal grill will get more of that smoky flavour than a gas grill.How do I bbq a great steak?
I always use a BBQ salt and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side, then another minute each side before serving.
i'd broil it for 5-6 minutes and put barbecue sause on it.How do I bbq a great steak?
They probably age the meat, which you can do yourself in your refrigerator. You can check on some of the cooking web sites to find out exactly how to do that, but basically you put the open package of meat in the fridge for a certain number of hours. You may be able to combine that step with a dry rub of spices (mix what you like in powder form, onion, garlic, pepper, salt?) and rub into the meat, then let it sit.



If you are talking steaks, then you probably are asking about grilling vs. barbequing. Grilling is over a higher, direct flame (barbequing is slower cooking indirectly over hot coals, and then, of course adding the sauce). If you're using a gas grill then you can read the temp on the grill, if it has a thermometer. So make sure your fire is hot enough to grill properly. (I use a Weber kettle and a grill thermometer that you can buy online for under $10.)



Grill one side of the meat, turn once only, and then check for internal temp with an instant read meat therm that you can buy at the grocery store for under $5.



I know you use the gas grill. I use a chimney starter and real hickory charcoal, not the compressed briquettes, and that allows me to start the fire without an accelerant, which can put an off flavor into the meat. The real hickory charcoal also cooks hotter and gives a good flavor to the meat. I get it at the hardware store. It's not more expensive than the briquettes. I must also give a plug for the Weber kettle, which allows control of the draft and the cooking process.



Remove meat from grill and add seasoned butter while you let the meat "rest" for five minutes or so before cutting/serving. If you cut into the meat to check it for doneness or serve it/cut it too soon after coming off the grill, the juices will come out and the meat will be dryer and less tasty for that reason.



I got most of this info from a Cook's Illustrated book on grilling and barbequing, and it really made a difference in our backyard family cookouts. The book, and others like it, give equivalent info on techniques for gas grills. I got my book used on Amazon for under $20. I think it's the last word on outdoor cooking!



Hope this helps.
well if you look in the phone book in troy there is a great restaurant called delmonicoes it makes great food i hate some meat but once i tryed there steak i fell in loveHow do I bbq a great steak?
Marinade it in 2 cups of apple cider vinegar 2 cups of water,1 cup of salt and 2 tbp ground pepper for a bout 2-3 hours. It will be so tender even granny can eat it
As was already stated, you are grilling, not barbecuing. And in answer to how it's done at Ruth Chris and other great steak houses, the steaks are cooked at temperatures of about 1500-1800 degrees. Most home cooks do not have the equipment necessary to do that, so you have to do what you can with your grill.



High heat, short cooking times, with the best cuts of meat available to you. Try a ribeye, and if you can find a good meat market or butcher shop, buy your meat there instead of at the grocery store. Do not waste your time marinating a great piece of meat. Use that on less tender cuts. Salt and pepper should be all it needs. I prefer to salt after cooking because salt is a preservative and draws water out of the meat.
I heat up grill, ten minutes, salt steak, pepper makes it bitter...Rare, big salad, lots of wine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment