Monday, February 13, 2012

What type of lettuce is used in a chopped salad or chop salad?

My husband and I had a salad this past weekend at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse called Harvest Chopped Salad. It had pecans, fried onions, dried cherries and a house dressing. It was really delicious. I tried to remake it the next day but I don't think I used the right type of lettuce. I used the green curly leaf lettuce. Any suggests to what kind I should have used?What type of lettuce is used in a chopped salad or chop salad?
Romaine Lettuce is fabulous in taste, high in nutritional value and is strong enough to stand up to heavier toppings, such as what you experienced at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. (I bet you they added in Iceburg, a cheaper, crispy leaf lettuce with absolutely no nutritional value but very strong with heavier toppings) Green leaf is high in flavor and makes a great additional green in a salad mix, but is not strong enough (it's light, crisp, sweet and somewhat tangy) to hold the ingredients you made at home. I know we don't always know the individual tastes of our salad greens because they are often mixed together, so I'm glad you came here to ask. I would go with Romaine next time, I know you'll enjoy it and don't hesitate to add in some Frisee, Arugula, Spinach, IceBerg or Red leaf Lettuce, great flavors!What type of lettuce is used in a chopped salad or chop salad?
Chop Salad:



A Ruth's Chris original. Julienne iceberg lettuce, baby spinach and radicchio are tossed with red onions, mushrooms, green olives, bacon, eggs, hearts of palm, croutons, bleu cheese, lemon basil dressing and then topped with crispy onions.



Serving Size: 1 salad, Calories: 370, Fat: 18g, Carbs: 33g, Protein: 13g
Based on the description of the lettuce, I am going with Bibb Lettuce or Boston Lettuce. You could probably call the establishment and they will tell you. There are not a lot of secret ingredients in salads.What type of lettuce is used in a chopped salad or chop salad?
I am positive it was romaine BUT looking at those ingredients in the salad I would use Baby Spinach. It would taste a whole lot better with that salad. You can buy Baby Spinach in the section where pre-washed packaged lettuce is.
I would use Romaine Lettuce and maybe some Baby SpinachWhat type of lettuce is used in a chopped salad or chop salad?
Probably romaine or plain old iceberg.
Probably romaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment